Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Conversations with a S*W

Me-Hi Ms. Rude.
I'm calling to tell you B.W needs to go to the Pediodontist. It's over an hour from our house and I've used all my vacation time this yr and most of my sick time on B.W's needs. I need you or someone to transport to the Consult & possible surgery. I don't have anymore time off and I know I've got to stay home with him at least 2 days after the surgery. I need help in doing all this.
Ms. Rude- I don't see how I can help, it's far for me too. You'll have to take him to the consult and I can pick him up and take him to daycare. Then I'll be there for the surgery and bring him home.( they have to be there for all surgery's, so this is no concession).
Me- Even if I take him to the consult I will have used more than 1/2 day of time I do not have on the books to take him. Not to mention, I do have another child I have to make arrangements for while I take him. I don't see how I can take another day off, when I'm going to have to take 2 days off while he recoups at home. Two days without pay, by the way. I can't take 3 days off without pay.
Ms. Rude- Well you'll have to do something, I'll wait for your call to tell me what you've worked out. Talk to you later.
Need I tell you, I DON'T THINK SO. I've taken off enough time. They do not care what inconvenience they cause ME. She's just going to have to do it. I do believe she gets paid for these things....I do not. And the fact I've already used all my vacation and sick time for him, does not matter one bit. That is my problem.
Somebody please tell me why I do this.

8 comments:

Susan said...

It's the glamor!

Perri said...

I would tell them that if they can't arrange this, then they just need to move BW to another home.

First, I'd go over her head to her suprevisor.

Mothering4Money said...

How frustrating! Do they not employ Family Support Workers, people whose sole job is to pick up and transport children in foster care? It still amazes me how different each state runs their CPS system. If only we could take the good parts of each of them and use it as a model and then make everyone work exactly by that perfect model ... but that's not gonna happen.

Anonymous said...

No. Way. I wouldn't do it, either. Stand your ground, girlfriend!

Lovingmyamazinglife said...

I am NOT shocked.Atleast she talked you on the phone,thats better than we get!I would say no,you can't do,then they will call you"noncompliant" like they have us,we can't win.I am getting closer and closer to thiking we are going private adoption next time,this whole experience becomes more of a circus at a risk to my family by the day.Can you tell I am mad today?

Likely,which is our situation,they emply not only a SW per child,sometimes 2,and have a fulltime transport person,which happens to always be busy,or their are no funds left to pay her...

In fact they say theirs no funds to pay us for fostering,clothign allowance,etc. And they get away with it,because we wont risk losing kiddo by compaining.

Kellie with an "ie" said...

I am always so surprised when I read things like this that the social workers seem to think they're doing YOU some sort of favor instead of the other way around!

Stay strong and don't back down. They can figure out a way to get BW where he needs to go.

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

aw :( im sorry to hear .... I had such gooood case managers while living at EB... lets see what happens when I get my license .... ::grin::

Anita said...

Yeah, why DOES this happen All THE TIME!