Sunday, August 10, 2008

My FAVORITE FLOWER


Do you know what this is?
It took me two years to find this beauty. I first saw it in Southern Living.
It is a Bat Faced plant. The photo does not do the colors justice. When you look
directly at the flowers, it looks just like a red/purple bat. The "ears" are bright red, the face is bright purple and two white stamens stick straight out and look like vampire teeth. It usually is in full bloom by Halloween and the mommies who bring their little ones up the walk are always
dumbfounded, they can't believe it's real. Someone always has to touch it. It is usually a prolific re seeder, but with our drought, it was all I could do to get this tiny sprig to come up. It is usually a big bushy type flower. I am going to have to get as many seeds as possible from this measly stalk this year. They are soooo hard to find and when you do, it's not cheap. Is it not the coolest plant? I love it!

3 comments:

CanCan said...

So beautiful! Your description helps me imagine the bat face. :)

AfricaBleu said...

I love it, too! I want one--where'd you get it?

Anita said...

I've never seen anything like it! It's gorgeous. Love the vibrant colors!