Wednesday, February 21, 2007


If your thinking of becoming foster parents. Please research it. Know that the strain on your family is real. Even in the most devoted, loving couples it can cause all kinds of problems. It seems fairly cut and dry, especally in the classes. Well, real life sets in real fast.

Are you the kind of family that likes to do things together? make sure that car/van will hold everybody. Sounds simple, but it gets complicated. Do both of you work? Make sure you can take time off work without repercussions, they don't send healthy kids in to care. They are sick, and most need to go to the Dr alot, or evals of some sort. they like to tell you respite care for the kids is there whenever you need it. Well, take this into consideration. Most foster homes are at capacity already and are unable to take yours when you need a break or go on vacation.

I don't mean to be a downer, but after 2 yrs, it starts to take it's toll. We need more foster parents, but a new system also.

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change what we're doing to help our babies at all. I just wish I would have been better informed, other than the "fru-fru classed, that makes it seem a more romantic than it is.

Any questions? I'll be glad to answer them as honestly as I can. Keeping in mind things vary from state to state.

I will end with it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. But a little REAL prep never hurt anybody!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I know several couples who are foster parents. I met one lady at a dance class years ago who had a van load of foster kids. She had quite a system. The kids all had to wear the same color shirt, etc on the same day. That way she could wash a full couple of loads every day. Jeans one or two loads and whatever the color of the day was too.

The kids ranged in ages from small...not toddlers to high school.

I've also read other blogging foster mothers who talked about the hardships, having to say goodbye to kids they had had for years.

Hats off to you! You are very loving to do this!